Preventive Medicine-Internal Medicine
The combined Preventive Medicine and Internal Medicine residencies is a program designed to prepare the physician for the challenges of preventive medicine and internal medicine in the twenty-first century. The combined residencies will allow physicians to prepare for and sit for both the Preventive Medicine and Internal Medicine Boards. The program is designed so the requirements for the residency will be met within a four-year time frame rather than the five it would take to complete each sequentially. The resident will receive a Master of Public Health degree upon sucsessful completion of the preventive medicine Academic Year.
Requirements for Application: All applicants must be eligible for an institutional permit. Aerospace medicine applicants must be U.S. Citizens and be in good health generally, be able to pass a physical examination (NASA and USAF). Applicants are expected to have an interest in prevention, internal and academic medicine. Applicants should be able to meet application requirements for UTMB's Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. Applicants should prepare for a consecutive interview process with Internal Medicine, Preventive Medicine and with NASA-JSC (ASM applicants only) resident selection committees.
Applicants must apply to both programs separately via the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
The following criteria must be met:
- Must be a U.S. citizen for the Aerospace Medicine combined residency
- Current ECFMG certification is required for all international graduates
- Only J1 and H1-B visas will be sponsored (IM/Aerospace Medicine applicants must be U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents)
- Must not have been away from clinical medicine longer than 2 years
- A minimum score of 88/200 is required on the USMLE Part 2
- 3 attempts allowed to pass USMLE
- No U.S. clinical experience is required at this time
- Must be able to obtain a Texas Physician in Training permit (PIT) from the Texas Medical BoardMust meet all admission requirements for UTMB's Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
How To Apply:
Combined applicants must apply to both the Internal Medicine (categorical) and Preventive Medicine residencies separately. Electronic applications are accepted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). Combined residency applicants will be identified internally. Application to this program will not conflict with the match. The specific dates for consecutive day interviews will be set forth in a letter of invitation.
The APPLICATION may also be printed and submitted directly to the following address:
Preventive Medicine Residencies
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, TX 77555-1110
Please note that the following items are required to complete the application:
- Unofficial copies of undergraduate and medical school transcripts
- Notarized copy of medical school diploma
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- 3 Current Letters of Reference (1 must be an undergrad reference)
- Copies of USMLE scores- Step 1, 2 and 3 (if applicable)
Annual deadline for applications is October 31st. Applications are reviewed within the following two weeks and interviews are typically the first week of December. After the application and supporting material have been received, selected applicants will be invited for a formal interview.
Please contact email@example.com should you have any questions.